Technical Info - The Website

Website Technicalities
Various versions of 'Dreamweaver' have been used as the website editor and ftp agent ever since the start in 2000. All webpages are in the site root but pictures are scattered around in various folders (dis-)organised by date or subject. Pages are written to a transitional xhtml format and optimised for fast download times. Few bytes are wasted on padding or page structure. At the last count on there were about 1600 files on the website. Of these, 199 are web pages. The other files are full-sized and thumbnail pictures, the JB icon, the swf clock and three CSS files. The Google Sitemap gizmo reports fewer pages but some for personal reference (such as a URLs page) are not included.

The navbar makes best use of available space with minimum graphics and loads only once on first visit to the website. Its rollover buttons are entirely generated in CSS. Some harmless cookies are set by the stats link. a little JavaScript prevents page hijacking and displays the clock. Modern browsers all work well. The alternative text menu system is a nod in the direction of 'accessibility' and useful for small monitor sizes and mobile devices.

Page navigation starts from the navbar and each level (within sub-menus) has 'back' arrows to the next level up. Not ideal but it works. Pages cannot be bookmarked directly as they are within a frames structure. This might change as frames are going out of style now. Links to other websites always open in a new window. The guestbook is an external website.

Just to prove that I can write in a different style, have a look at a Unison Trade Union website that I edit. Not very inspiring but I don't invent the the content, although I always check it and make small changes to make it look right. I am also the registered keeper of a student website that is too embarrasing to link to but I don't design its pages.

My ISP (Madasafish) allows me 100MB and the website is uses about 80% of it (as at May 2010). I get the domain name registration thrown in for free. My friends at Eskia Computers have allocated me a nice big chunk of server space which I mostly use for media files, which can sometimes be quite large.

Wentworth ArmsI am aware of copyright issues and so nearly all pictures are my own; early ones from a Kodak DC280 and later ones from a Panasonic 'Lumix' DMC-LC80 camera of 5 Megapixels. From mid 2007, most pictures are from a Canon Powershot A640, which is a very fine digital camera of 10 Megapixels.

There are a few scanned prints and some from visitors (suitably acknowledged). All have been tweaked with Paintshop Pro. Most of the large pictures are 600 to 650 pixels wide and thumbnails usually 200 pixels wide. As time goes on and people buy better systems, the pictures look smaller. Picture quality is variable and often poor as I had some eyesight problems for a few years until 2006.

Photographers might be interested in my digital tweaks, which I use sparingly. This picture of the Wentworth Arms is an example from the early days. I lifted the very dark shadow details using careful area selection and gamma correction. Then I tweaked perspective in both horizontal and vertical directions (a bit too much), cropped the resulting trapezoid, reduced it in size and sharpened it. Then I tweaked the compression for the website. I don't usually take so much trouble and I have discovered a better method of adjusting the tonal range of borderline photos, using histogram correction.

Back Top Home Rodney Dangerfield: 'I haven't spoken to my wife in years. I didn't want to interrupt her.'