Carnegie Library and Penistone Town Hall - "Penistone's Coliseum"

This page is mostly focussed on our town's centrepiece hall, described on its opening as "Penistone's Coliseum". Did you know Penistone once had two competing cinemas; that the Paramount ceiling has a stained glass panel; that its Proscenium Arch carries the Penistone/Clarel coat of arms; that its balcony coul not be used for several years and that the Town Hall floor is supported by springs, for dancing? It's all in here. As you read on, you will discover some history of the building and some unexpected uses of the Town Hall. It all started with the Carnegie Library in 1913. Enjoy!


The 'Carnegie Free Library' and Penistone Town Hall
It is self-evident that parents have always wanted their children to have the best education possible within their means. The availability of books is and was one of the best and cheapest ways for ordinary people to educate themselves. Towards the end of the 19th century, a movement started in the UK to promote book-reading and this led to the gradual establishment of public libraries throughout the land. Although reading takes many forms in the modern age and libraries have extended their range of activities and services, they are still among the most important public buildings of any town.

Penistone Library can be traced back to a Reading Room in the 1880s but the actual 'Carnegie Free Library' building did not open on Shrewsbury Road until 1913. It had been purchased partly by public subscription from residents in the Penistone area (on the rates) and partly by a generous grant of money from Mr Andrew Carnegie. This was in the days of Penistone Urban District Council.

Mr Carnegie was a great Scottish-American philanthropist and steel magnate who chose to use his wealth to generously contributing towards libraries being built throughout the USA and UK, providing free access to books of all description to improve the public education. Mr Carnegie seldom receives the recognition that he so richly deserves, when you consider what benefits book-reading and the free exchange of ideas can confer upon any forward-looking population.

He was a great enabler and our town has much to thank him for but it also took the will of the local population to make the Library and Town Hall happen. Mr Carnegie died 1919 in Massachusetts, USA. One hopes that a Penistone road might one day be named after him in recognition of his work. (Listen to Andrew Carnegie talking).

It is not clear whether Carnegie had been approached by local officials or if he had discovered Penistone through his steel connections, but his contribution had been the seed which eventually led to these results:

The Town Hall came soon after the Library and was designed to be more than an Assembly Hall from the start. It became popular as a theatre and cinema quite soon after opening and helped elevate the general status of our town as an attraction to visitors for miles around. We must not overlook the self-esteem it would have conferred to a small town which was not much larger than a village at the time. The architect for the Town Hall was Mr Henry R Collins and the plans can be found in Penistone Historic Archives in the Community centre. You will notice that Penistone's coat of arms was displayed prominently on the plans. It can also be found on the proscenium arch in the hall, currently obscured by curtains. It is also carved elegantly into the tall Chairman's chair in the Council Chamber. As a matter of interest, Penistone Town Council agreed in Sept. 2014 to employ the coat of arms on official documents.

Town Hall Building

A Busy Building
The postal address of the whole building complex is 'The Town Hall' but it is in several separate sections. From left to right in the sketch above, these are: The Town Hall ('Paramount Theatre'), Masonic Hall (set back and above), Council Chamber (usually via the third door, turn left inside) and the Carnegie Free Library (now offices, accessed from an entrance just around the top corner). Further around the corner is the red-brick Caretaker's House.

I would recommend that, for any public event posters, the full location is included so that the public knows which door to try. This is my example from an actual event: 'The Archives of Penistone UDC' - 26th October 2017, 11am to 1pm, Council Chamber, Town Hall Building, Shrewsbury Road, S36 6DY.

The Paramount is well-used, with some activity every day, but it might not be obvious that other parts of the building are also busy. Taking 2017 as the norm, Penistone Town Council, its sub-committees, Penistone Area Council (BMBC councillors), Penistone Ward Alliance and other meetings take place in the Council Chamber every month. The top offices are also in daily use and the Masonic Hall has been in regular use since its inception.


Grand Opening of the Town Hall, 1914
A grand ceremony was planned to open the new Town Hall (what we now call the Paramount Theatre) in 1914. The ceremony was performed by Alderman E Woodhead, JP, of Huddersfield. Penistone was in the West Riding in those days. On rising to declare the hall open, he said that he hoped that " ... the building would be a kind of 'Open sesame' to all that was good for the town".

Also on the platform were: local council vice-chairman Mr E Wood 'in the chair', the Mayor of Huddersfield, Alderman Blamires, JP, Alderman JP Hinchliffe, JP, of Denby Dale, Mr H Hinchliffe, CC, of Bullhouse Hall and Dr ACJ Wilson, JP. Local councillors attending were: EL Ferrall, G Knight, WH Topham, TE Denison and other Council members in audience. It is not entirely clear whether the opening event had been open to all of the general public but, being a grand new public facility, one might have expected it to be.

Dr ACJ Wilson, JP, had taken a keen interest in the scheme from the beginning and gave a most interesting history of the premises. The architect Mr Henry R Collins presented Alderman E Woodhead with a beautiful gold key bearing the inscription 'Penistone Council Offices and Town Hall opened on October' (the year must also have been inscribed but was omitted in the Penistone Almanack report of 1915). The cost of the public hall and adjuncts had come to about £3,004 and the Council office, etc., around £1,009.

MasonicA new Masonic Lodge was also opened in 1914, adjacent to the Town Hall. The Pengeston Masonic Lodge No. 6933 was established in 1874 before moving to its new location (also Wharnecliffe Lodge). The Pengeston Lodge still uses its own variant of the Penistone coat-of-Arms (see right). Looking at the plan below, the Masonic Hall is not shown but is situated in the central part above of Rates Office, Surveyor's Office and Clerk's Office. From the outside, it is the higher roof.

The Masonic Lodge might also have protected the Town Hall from certain disaster and be the sole reason why Barnsley MB Council has not proceeded with its declared ambition to sell it off, having assumed ownership from the Local Government Reorganisation of 1974.

The Town Hall and Library Plan
This plan below is from the Neville Roebuck Collection, which is the core of Penistone Historic Archives, viewable on Thursday Market Days in the Lower Hall of the Community Centre, Church Street. A lintel above the former Library door is inscribed with 'Carnegie Free Library' and stained glass monograms in the door are marked 'AC' as in Andrew Carnegie. (Details from Penistone Almanacks, drawings from Penistone Archive).

Plan of Building

The ceiling of the Town Hall has a beautiful stained glass panel which was covered for many years by a roller blind to control the daylight. It was later painted black to make it fully opaque. It is possible that nobody in living memory will have seen the stained glass panelling in its full glory. There used to be a large wooden-framed clock facing the audience on right side wall by the stage, similar to one at the old Spring Vale school. The original capacity was said to be 550, which did not include the balcony. The current Fire Safety capacity is 360.


History Timeline
This looks at developments in the Public Library, Council Offices, The Masonic Hall, Assembly Rooms Cinema, 'Penistone Town Hall Cinema' (aka Paramount Theatre) and advancements in film technology. Many of the details here were drawn from local almanacs, web sources and a wonderful pamphlet in the Local History section of Penistone Library, called 'The History of Penistone Cinemas' (plain blue covers) by Stuart R Smith, using research by Clifford Shaw.

1850
Public Libraries Act:

The Public Libraries Act 1850 (13 & 14 Vict c.65) was an Act of Parliament which first gave local boroughs the power to establish free public libraries. It established the principle of free Public Libraries which could provide facilities for self-improvement through books and reading for all classes. There had also been a fear that they might become centres of agitation by politically-motivated people and that they would lead to an increase in taxation. The Act was updated several times in the years following.

Early 1880s
A reading room was established through the efforts of John Ness Dransfield, location unknown. This is anecdotal but supposedly supported by newspaper clippings in Penistone Historic Archives. Reading was equated with learning and good schooling.

1902
Decision to Build a Library
29th September. Public meeting in the Girls' National School to consider if Mr Andrew Carnegie's offer of £1,000 for a Public Free Library in Penistone should be accepted. The following resolution was proposed by Dr ACJ Wilson JP CC and seconded by Mr GAB Lockley. It was accepted unanimously:
"We, the inhabitants of Penistone, in public meeting assembled, thank Mr Carnegie for his generous offer, and pledge ourselves to use our utmost efforts to raise the necessary £500 in order to take advantage of such offer."

1902
Adoption of Libraries Act in Penistone

24th October 1902. First 'Conversazione' held in St John's School (the current Community Centre), to consider raising £500 for the Free Library Scheme. A poll was taken to decide if the Public Free Libraries Act 1892 ought to be adopted by Penistone. A 'Conversazione' is 'a scholarly social gathering held for discussion of literature and the arts'. Details from 1904 Penistone Almanack.

1903:
13th March. A 'Social' was held in Penistone Wesleyan Schoolroom to raise money towards the Free Library Fund. This was in a rear room at the old St Paul's chapel, used for Sunday School within living memory before its demolition in the 1970s and replaced by St Andrews Church. On 19th March 1903, Councillor Derry of Sheffield and Mr Samuel Smith, chief librarian of Sheffield Free Libraries addressed the public in St John's School on the subject of free libraries.

October: 'Animated Pictures' were shown in the 'Assembly Rooms Cinema' (near Stottercliff Road) by showman Harry Bamforth of Holmfirth. It was a sporadic event, with Jasper Redfearn following in 1905. Bamforth's of Holmfirth had made many short films 1898 - 1900 and later 1913 - 1915, having started with lantern slides for display in Electric Picture Palaces and travelling shows. Bamfords later became well-known for their saucy seaside postcards. The Assembly Rooms had been converted from a gas appliance showroom and was known also by the name of 'Unwin's Rooms'.

This was a time of continuing innovation in moving pictures. In November 1903, Léon Gaumont demonstrated his first sound film to Société de Photographie in Paris. Even before this, in 1899, an experimental three-colour system had been patented and projected by Edward Raymond Turner, who died suddenly in 1903.

1907:
A 'High-Class Concert', 7.30pm in the Assembly Rooms, Wednesday, 20th November 1907. This was a concert by Penistone and District Choral Society, with: Glees, Part Songs, Madrigals, etc. by the Society's Chorus.

1909
A Site Chosen for the New Library
Sheffield Shrewsbury Hospital Trust offered a site in Shrewsbury Road for the Library and Town Hall to be built, on condition that the local council adopt it as a public road. (From Penistone History Group archives). On approaching the Local Government Board, the Urban Council had been told that they could not build the Town Hall without themselves first acquiring the powers of a Parish Council, which being only a formal matter they did (date uncertain).

The 1909 Cinematograph Act brought cinemas under local authority control in an effort to increase fire safety and to regulate the picture content of films. Films were made from the highly combustible cellulose nitrate at the time which, under the necessarily bright and hot lights, was easily ignited and could set fire to the buildings. Stricter building regulations were introduced for public entertainment halls giving local authorities a power of inspection. The Act also led to the eventual formation of the British Board of Film Censors.

1911
Assembly Rooms Licence

28th December: Assembly Rooms Cinema licenced to show films. Although films had been shown for a while in Penistone's first cinema, Licencing had become mandatory because of fire safety concerns and egress in an emergency. The lessees were JT Hawthorne and GF King who had cinemas in Holmfirth, Skelmanthorpe, Slaithwaite and Ossett. A pamphlet in Penistone Library about Cinema in Penistone by Clifford Shaw remarks that there had not been any publicity for the opening of the Assembly Rooms Cinema. It might be interesting to discover why.

1912:
Plans for the Carnegie Free Library submitted by Mr HB Collins of Barnsley to Andrew Carnegie for approval. An additional scheme to add the Town Hall and other rooms was also being discussed at the time.

1913
Penistone Library Arrives

Carnegie Free Library and Reading Room was completed on Shrewsbury Road, built partly from public subscription (on the rates) and £1,300 contribution from Carnegie, which had been increased from the original £1,000. Eleven years after it had been first proposed, it was opened 21st June 2013 by the Earl of Wharncliffe. Shrewsbury Road had to be adopted as a public road before the Library could be built. Before Shrewsbury Road had been adopted, the main road past the church to the bottom of the hill had been the rather narrow Church Street. The Town Hall, Committee Rooms and Masonic Hall started being built on to the lower end of the Carnegie Free Library this year.

1914
Penistone's Coliseum Begins

Penistone Town Hall, Masonic Hall, Council Chamber and Meeting Room was completed this year as a continuation of the Carnegie Free Library. The opening ceremony was performed 31st October by Alderman E Woodhead, JP, of Huddersfield (see details below). The cost of the public hall and adjuncts was about £3,004 and the Council office, etc., an additional £1,009.

Prior to this, the 'Assembly Rooms' on Stottercliff had been used for public meetings. It had originally been built as a gas fitting showroom. In the modern age, the Assembly Rooms were the red-brick building on the rough road from St Mary's Street roundabout to Julie's Cafe. The first building on the right was the former Railway Station.

As this was in the early days of what came to be called the Great War, the Town Hall also became a venue for fund-raising activities such as dances. A concert on Saturday, 28th November raised £30 in aid of the 'Relief of Belgian Refugees Fund'. Artistes were: conjuror Mr WF Gilbert of Chester and humorist Mr Harry Lawton of Wolverhampton (Penistone Almanack, 1916). In a different style, a children's concert from Spring Vale Council School was a great success in December. The programme of operettas were 'The Toy Shop' performed by the infants and 'A Royal Jester' by the elder scholars.

The new Town Hall had other uses too. On 9th December 1914, the first inquest was held in the Town Hall. This was for the death of 82 year old Mrs Charlotte Mitchell of Spring Vale, who died as a result of a fall.

1915:
January: Before films came to be shown in Penistone Town Hall, adverts appeared for five months for films in the already established Assembly Rooms Cinema, also called 'Penistone Picture House' (that name did not stick). The films stopped for a while but returned later. Take a walk by St Mary's St roundabout to Julie's Cafe and you can see the red-bricked building which actually looks like a cinema but is now used for car repairs. Mr Will Parfett was billed as Manager in 1913-14 but joined the opposition after the Town Hall Cinema started competing in November.

Nightly performances in the Assembly Rooms Cinema started at 8pm, with Saturday performances at 2.30pm, 6.45pm and 9pm. The programme would have been a main film (not be more than about ten minutes) and a Pathé or comedy feature or a serial. The films would change on Mondays and Thursdays. Tickets were 3d, 4d and 6d. One wonders how they stretched out the showings. For a time there were actually two cinemas in Penistone.

March: A mass meeting of steelworkers took place in the Town Hall on 20th March, addressed by Mr M Humberstone and various union leaders. This was in the time of Cammel-Laird steelworks on Green Road, which later became David Brown's (1936).

August: The Town Hall was let to Mr Jesson after the Council licenced the Town Hall for 'Cinematographic entertainments', conditional on its availability as a Town Hall for other local events and public meetings (which still pertains) and the first projectionist was Mr T Lee. Of course, early films had no sound-track in those days but there would have been musical accompaniment by Mrs May Bust on piano (a detail from Penistone Mayor's speech of 2014).

The first 'high-class concert and pictures' event was held on Friday 20th November 1915, described in the Penistone Almanack (see graphic below). According to a historical account at the BBC, which has several inaccuracies, 'The two opening shows in 1915 raised over £20 for wounded soldiers in the Penistone, Thurlstone and District Nursing Association'. See the BBC page.

The balcony was deemed to be not up to safety standards by the West Riding CC licencing authority and remained off-limits to the audience, which could number 550 in the stalls, until it was altered in 1924, at the expense of Penistone council. The regulations were because of a high incidence of cinema fires as a result of the highly flammable films of the day illuminated by very hot lamps. The balcony audience would have required a good fire exit.

From Penistone Almanack
An entry for 20th - 21st November 1915:

November 1915 - Penistone Almanack.

There were two film regular showings each week and tickets were prices between 3d and 9d each (In modern money, a shilling or 12d = 5p). As the Great War raged on, Penistone Town Hall was also used as Headquarters of the Holmfirth Parliamentary Division Recruiting Committee, 'for men attesting under Lord Derby's scheme for the war.' The 'Derby Scheme' used door-to-door visits encouraging men to 'attest' or promise to serve if called upon, with a promise that bachelors would be called to serve before married men. The 'Derby Scheme' was insufficient for recruiting enough cannon fodder and single men aged 18 to 41 were conscripted from January 1916. This was still not enough and married men were also conscripted in May 1916.

1918
Assembly Rooms Back Again

Now that the War was at an end, advertisements came out once more during Spring and Summer for films to be shown in the Assembly Rooms Cinema. The manager at this time was Miss Beatrice Harris. Film serials which were running at the time were: The Red Ace and Gloria's Romance. Tickets were 4d, 5d and 8d, which now included an entertainment tax.

1919
Film Rival Refurb

After renovation, the Assembly Rooms Cinema re-opened 26th May 1919, with Moses Rawson as Manager. Following the upheaval and losses of the Great War, the opening show was to raise money for Penistone War Memorial, which was to be erected outside Penistone Church, and included a variety act. A free children's matinee had been shown at 5pm in the afternoon of the same day. The cinema continued for another four years until its demise in 1923.

1922
Bulging Gable
A bulge had appeared in the gable end of the Town Hall and repairs were called for and the council hoped to bring the balcony up to the WRCC's safety requirements. The council would also redecorate the hall. Reconstruction and enlargement started in July 1924 with H Slater as architect, costing a total of £1,200, but with the lessees paying towards it.

1923
Demise of The Film Rival

The Assembly Room Cinema came to an untimely end on Thursday 12th July this year when fire gutted the building, leaving only the walls remaining. The last film shown had been 'Love at the Wheel'.

1924
Building Work and the Balcony Made Safe at Last

Because the gable end had developed a noticeable bulge, some building work on the Town Hall had become necessary. It made sense to improve the Balcony gallery area at the same time to comply with the WRCC's safety standards and, at last, to actually allow an audience make use of it. The balcony had been deemed unsafe for ten years and was out of bounds. The architect was Mr H Slater and the cost of all the work came to £1,200. This was a busy year in Penistone. The clock in Penistone Church was replaced this year and a second clock face fitted to overlook Shrewsbury Road for the first time. The new Penistone War Memorial was also unveiled this year. Penistone Almanac 1925 has the following item, referring to 14th July 1924.

July 1924 additions

'Grand Popular Concert' (first of a series) - 7.30pm, 5th November 1924, in Penistone Town Hall. By Penistone and District Musical Society.
'The May Queen' by Sterndale Bennet. Conductor was Mr A Harley. Artistes: Miss Ida Bloor, Soprano, Mr Joseph Green, Tenor, Mr Ernest Platts, Bass, Mr Melvyn Roebuck at the Piano.
(This item from Mrs M Marsh's collection).

1925
Public Meetings
Although in use as cinema, theatre and dance hall (and an occasional inquest), public meetings were also held in the Town Hall in its role as a Public Assembly Room. Random examples taken from Penistone Almanac: The 70th Annual Parochial Gathering, Wednesday 7th January 1925. A little later, Mr George Lansbury, Labour MP, spoke to the masses there on the subject of 'Nationalisation of Mines', Sunday 1st February 1925, in connection with the formation of the Penistone Branch of the Labour Party.

1927
Cinematograph Films Act 1927

The Act was designed to stop the decline of the British film industry at a time of declining British film audiences. It was to try to counter Hollywood's perceived economic and cultural dominance by promoting similar business practices among British studios, distributors and cinema chains for a limited time of ten years. It was generally regarded as a failure. See Parliament on the UK Film Industry.

Technical - The Talkies?
Penistone Mug from Hallmark Card Shop'The Jazz Singer' was regarded as the first feature-length 'talkie' film to be distributed this year (not the first talkie ever) but was not shown in Penistone at the time. Al Jolson's first words to be heard were: "You ain't heard nothing yet". This film used the Vitaphone system with four gramophone discs for 'Sound on Disc' and very similar to a French system nearly thirty years before. It was silent with captions for the most part except for songs and ad-libbing. None-the-less, it was hugely popular at the time in America (where the history is written) and seen as a breakthrough in technology which would herald the demise of the silent film.

The Vitaphone disc system had a limited recording time and was subject to synchronisation problems if a disc was damaged or nudged. A better method had been invented long before Vitaphone using an optical 'Sound on Film' track, which allowed perfect lip-synchronisation but did not have the financial backing to succeed until later.

The Americans lay claim to Thomas Edison inventing the light bulb, but he had been following the work of UK inventor Joseph Swann, who had reliably demonstrated carbon filament bulbs to around 700 people at least nine months before Edison could get his lamps to stay reliably illuminated. But Mr Edison was very canny (and litigious). An agreement was made (by means fair or foul) that they had both independently invented the same thing at the same time. Many people also believe that the first 'talkie' film had been the 'The Jazz Singer' (1927). Yet there had been several inventions to synchronise sound to moving picture perhaps three decades earlier with names like the Synchroscope, Chronophone and Cameraphone. It's just that most of them did not have the funding to be commercially viable.

In the 1900s, Léon Gaumont's Chronophone had projected film on to the big screen and he used the French equivalent of the phonograph and two large horns to amplify the sound. There was no electronic amplification in those days. Even before that, around 1895, Thomas Edison had played music on a cylinder phonograph with a continuous film loop in his Kinetophone. That was a coin-operated machine for one person at a time. There were Kinetophone Parlours set up across America and even in London's Oxford Street. The 1920s were the early days of radio ('Wireless' in those days) and its improving technology was useful for the development of cinema, with microphones, amplifying valves, loudspeakers, photocells and other developments becoming available and more affordable. The expanding electricity supply in the UK had played no small part in the process.

1929
Fire Safety in Cinemas

71 children died in the Glen Cinema fire in Paisley, Scotland, from an audience of more than 1,000 people. The Nitrocellulose film of the day had been highly flammable and the cause of the fire. People (mostly children) rushed the exits, only to find that they either opened inwards or were locked to prevent unauthorised entry. The cinema has been inspected that same day by the local fire service and pronounced safe. It had been the worst cinema disaster in UK history.

The 1930s
Penistone cinema projectors at this time were two British Thomson Houston (BTH), Type A, with carbon arcs and 20 minute reels (see the Regal Group site). BTH was a large engineering and heavy machinery company which made a wide range of products including steam turbines, electric motors, power generation equipment, Mazda radio valves, a two-valve wireless, aircraft parts, naval parts, cinema sound and cinema projection equipment. In 1937, Frank Whittle's Power Jets company built the world's first prototype jet engine at the BTH works in Rugby but BTH also made domestic appliances under the Hotpoint name and BTH film projectors, which were installed in Penistone's Town Hall Cinema. See Grace's Guide.

1930
Talkies Arrive in Penistone

Fifteen years after he had started, Mr Jesson continued with a six-year lease to show films in the Town Hall Cinema, at a rental of £300 a year for the first three years and by negotiation afterwards.

'Sunny Side Up' was the first talkie film shown in Penistone, with a run time of just over two hours. It was made by Fox Film Corporation and premiered 3rd October 1929 at the Gaiety Theatre in New York City. It laid claim to being the first original musical talkie for the silver screen. Up to this year, films at Penistone had been silent except for a piano accompaniment. The title song from the film will be familiar to many people, as in '(Keep Your) Sunny Side Up'. On the poster: 'William Fox Presents Sunny Side Up. The screen's first all-talking, singing, dancing musical comedy (etc.)'

The film starred Janet Gaynor as Molly Carr (who sang and danced to the title song) and Charles Farrell as Jack Cromwell. They had been the top screen couple in the early 1930s and were romantically involved with each other at the time of the film. They were making the transition from silent to talkie films with some success. She was barely 5ft tall, while he was 6ft 2in but they had a noticeable chemistry between them.

Janet Gaynor had appeared in many films in the 1920s and 1930s (mostly uncredited) but was aware of her vocal short-comings and arranged to avoid musicals in future. She had all but retired but appeared in 'The Love Boat' TV series in 1981. Charles Farell is best remembered for his teaming with Janet Gaynor in twelve screen romances between 1927 and 1934. He retired in the late 1940s but made an appearance in the popular US TV series 'My Little Margie' (1952).

Technical Advances:
This was a Fox Movietone film, which used a variable-density optical soundtrack based on the 1920s Phonofilm system developed by American inventor Lee deForest, rather than the variable-width optical soundtrack which became the standard for later years. In fact, either type could be played back on the same projector, provided the frames per second were similar. This 'Sound on Film' method ensured accurate lip sync, unlike the Vitaphone system used in 'The Jazz Singer' which played the soundtrack from four special gramophone records which could easily 'jump a groove' and lose synchronisation.

Most of the film was black and white except for one sequence, 'Turn up the Heat', which was coloured using a tinting process and called 'Multicolor'. This was rather an erotic sequence with Eskimo girls dancing as the temperature rose and igloos melted, to be replaced by palm trees and skimpy clothes. Unfortunately, that appears to have been lost and can only be found in black and white now. Camera techniques were evolving at this time from the static angles of the silent era and this film used such as tracking crane shots to make it more interesting and immersive. See Wikipedia and IMDb.

At this time, Penistone's cinema had BTH projectors. Then as now, the film changed on Thursdays but sometimes the films were not being shown when the hall was used for theatrical or other purposes. Each year had a regular theatrical booking by Penistone and District Amateur Operatic Society, which was the forerunner of the current Penistone Centre Stage. Films were usually advertised in the Penistone district news.

1935
Refurb

The Town Hall was renovated and more comfortable seating fitted.

1939 - 1945
The War Years:

Films were not shown in the Town Hall during the War years of 1939 to 1945 but Friday night dances had continued and were popular. Penistone Operatic Society returned to the Town Hall stage after the War in 1947.

1948:
Sunday Opening
?
A public meeting was held to consider allowing the use of the Town Hall on Sundays. The majority said 'No' and this remained the situation until 1961. Also in the late 1940s, the UK Government had become concerned again about Hollywood's domination of the film industry and a lack of finance for British film production. It altered the quota system accordingly. American film producers were able to circumvent the rules to some extent by having studios in the UK.

The 1950s:
Radio was reaching a peak and television was becoming more popular, especially when ITV started in 1955. These outlets threatened the film industry which went into another decline. By 1958, eight million UK households had television licences and many of the film studios were closed or sold to broadcasters.

1953:
Technical Advances

Following quickly on the success of 'Cinerama' wide screen format (not in Penistone), 'CinemaScope' was invented this year using special anamorphic lenses on the cameras to distort (squash) wide pictures into the frames of a standard film. A cinema projector fitted with a similar lens could project the film as wide-screen, with a theoretical maximum aspect ratio of 2.66:1 (nearly 2½ units wide to every unit of height). The first film using this wide-screen format was the religious epic, 'The Robe', which was a huge box office success. All things considered, CinemaScope was a great breakthrough and eventually every cinema would have had anamorphic lenses (one on each of a pair of projectors) to use this widescreen format with a standard projector.

In contrast to CinemaScope, its forerunner Cinerama had required three synchronised projectors to throw images on to a curved screen, which limited its widespread implementation to just a few cinemas in the UK. The three images had a slight overlap, producing a slightly brighter band down about a third of the way on each side of the screen. The fixed angle of each lens also prevented the use of zoom lenses. The 'sweet spot' best viewing area in the auditorium was also somewhat limited.

The 1960s:
The Town Hall had (and still has) a 'sprung floor' for dancing, which is currently wedged up. Local council workers had to remove the rows of seats before each dance night and re-fit them afterwards. Cinema was generally in decline during this decade as television and later colour tv was assuming a greater part of people's lives. BBC 2 started its colour service from December 2, 1967. Many cinemas closed during this period but Penistone cinema had been able to soldier on.

1960:
End of an Era

Late this year, and after 45 years, Mr Jesson ended his lease to show films in the Town Hall, after objecting to the use of the hall for a pantomime. It is likely that it had conflicted with his plans to show films rather than any objection about the production. Film audiences had been declining at the time and Mr Jesson had been reluctantly making way for other entertainments, such as dances, which must have required plenty of down time to remove and replace the rows of seats. The pantomime might have been the 'last straw'.

1961:
Films had not been shown on Sundays until they were authorised on 7th May this year. From 4th June, Mr George L Edwards took over from Mr Jesson as lessee. He was also manager of the Theatre Royal in Manchester and he employed Rodney Byrne as Penistone Town Hall Cinema Manager. The opening week showed 'Saturday Night and Sunday Morning'. The hall was also redecorated this year. Bingo started on Friday and Saturday afternoons from 25th November and proved to be popular.

1962:
Film showings in the Town Hall appeared to be sliding into disarray and the programme of films became erratic. Adverts stopped being shown from July. Financial difficulties appeared to be behind the malaise and a writ was served to recover arrears of £312.

1963:
Penistone Urban District Council (PUDC) took over the management of the Town Hall Cinema and it re-opened on 8th May 1963. Films were shown on Saturdays, Mondays and Tuesdays, with 2.30pm children's matinees. Better films were being shown under PUDC management. Some mid-week bingo re-started mid-week but only lasted a few weeks. Mr A Hinchliffe was taken on as part-time manager, until he resigned in 1967, mostly because of the controversial showing of 'Fanny Hill', which had the reputation of being obscene.

1966
1966 PlaqueNew Library

Penistone Carnegie Library went on the move. A new purpose-built Library was constructed on High Street next to St Paul's chapel (which was later rebuilt as St Andrews' Church) and the lending library moved into it. The old Reading Room (for daily newspapers and journals) persisted for perhaps a year or two in a small building behind the Town Hall, thence into obscurity and oblivion. It has been speculated that the Reading Room had been retained as a contractual device to retain a Library presence close to the original site. The new Library was officially opened 30th March 1966 by County Councillor S Palmer of the WRCC.

Saturday Matinees
In the Town Hall Cinema, children's Saturday matinees had become popular around this time, with a programme of cartoons in a 'Saturday Club', starting (from memory) at 2pm. They came to an end amidst what was said to be an acrimonious dispute between compére and management. It never restarted.

1968:
Mr F Herton takes over as part-time manager of the Town Hall Cinema.

1971:
Some talk doing the rounds about the Town Hall being closed down. This would not be the only time this happened.

1974:
Conquest by BMBC
Penistone's assets were appropriated by (or possibly gifted to) Barnsley MB Council under the 'Local Government Reorganisation' Act of 1972, which came into force this year. Barnsley took control over our Town Hall and quickly raised the hire fee for various organisations which held functions there, making it prohibitively expensive and many of them simply dropped out. Around this time, the popular dance nights also came to an end. This might have been partly because control over the necessary manpower to remove and replace the seating had moved to Barnsley. The sprung dance floor was chocked up for perhaps the last time.

Mr Steve Tales (ex-Sheffield University technician) taken on as part-time Cinema Manager. He would become the full-time Cinema Manager in 1978, responsible for all aspects of the running of the Town Hall.

Penistone Town Council and other Parish Councils were now reduced to 'advisory' status and would often (usually?) be ignored. After the local government changes, old documents and other archive materials which had been stored in the building were sent to Barnsley Council archives, which the late Councillor George Punt had described as 'a shambles'. Cllr Punt had been tasked with tracking down the deeds to the buildings, to legally establish the original ownership to the sceptical Barnsley Council of its day. Unfortunately, the deeds could not be found. One explanation was that there had been a fire in the archives but local people were (and continued to be) somewhat unimpressed.

1975
New Projectors

These were changed to two Gaumont Kalee, Type 20, for improved efficiency and reliability (see the Regal Group site). Of course, projectors were fitted in pairs to facilitate a smooth transition as the reels were changed over. The projectionist was more than a button-pusher in those days. It is likely (to be confirmed) that they were fitted with the Kalee Varamorph lens, which had three magnification settings to accommodate different aspect ratios. These were: 1.38 for Rank's Anamorphic VistaVision, 1.5 for Paramount's Anamorphic VistaVision and 2 for CinemaScope and others. It had not been unusual for the film to break down and the audience reaction was always the same - foot stamping. You can download the Kalee Projector manual (pdf) from Film-Tech (under the Warehouse section).

1978
The BBC Gets it Wrong

According to the BBC, the film projector had been powered by carbon arc lamps until this year. The BBC page has some inaccuracies:

1979
New Manager

Steve Tales was appointed as Manager and was to continue for more than two decades. It was usual at the time for two films to be shown, with a second feature short first film (lasting perhaps half an hour), which might typically have been Pathé News or something from the RAF, British Railways or something industrial. After an interval and the ice cream trolley, the main film would be shown. When the programme was reduced to just the main feature without an interval, they lost sales and income.

Intermission Troubles
Steve re-introduced the intermission into each film but the Society of Film Distributors (SFD) discovered this and threatened to stop providing films unless he ended the intermissions. Once again, Penistone had became newsworthy, but this time in a 'David and Goliath' story with the SFD as the baddy Goliath. The local community was happy with the intermissions. Radio Sheffield's Roger Kilner broke the news and the story reached national TV and newspapers. It was even included in The Big Issue. With the overwhelming support of the public and media for the 'David', the SFD backed down and intermissions were restored. See also 1999.

Early 1980s
The Communications Hub
(The CB Evening)
This was a time when CB Radio was reaching its peak of popularity and a special evening of CB films was arranged by the Manager Steve Tales, who himself had been an enthusiast. 'Convoy' had been a popular film at the time and had helped to spark off the CB phenomenon in the UK. Unfortunately, the evening did not attract many 'breakers'. During the interval, an audience member with a portable CB radio struck up a conversation with 'Road Runner', a hillside farmer. The manager must have been listening in, as he unexpectedly piped the conversation through the PA system, to everyone's delight (and possible embarrassment).

1982:
Penistone Town Hall Cinema re-decorated once again.

Cinema Metro Ticket

1986:
Metro - An Unloved Name

Under the control of Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council, the (largely unloved) name of 'The Metro' was imposed upon Penistone Town Hall Cinema, presumably to reflect the 'Metropolitan' part of their name. They were in charge. Control over booking the films moved from Brian Megson to the Cinema Manager, Steve Tales. As 'The Metro', the first film shown was James Bond in 'The Living Daylights' with Timothy Dalton in the starring role.

Refurbishment
The theatre also received new permanent seating this year, ending the era of dances for all time. The 'sprung floor' with large steel springs was designed for dancing but, with the demise of dances, the springs were chocked up by wooden wedges. The nearby Community Centre became the new venue for discos and dances.

1989:
New Hospitality Room

In November, a bar licence was granted and the side room was made into a cosy room to relax in before and during the intermission of a film or theatre performance. Cinema Manager Steve Tales became the licensee. Barnsley MB Council's Catering Services had previously managed the food and drink side of the operation. A good range of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks and snacks became available. The foyer continued to supply the usual pop, sweets and the traditional popcorn. At first, alcoholic drinks were only available for '18' films but this was extended later.

BuffetBuffet Organist at play

1993:
It's Ours Again
- And another Refurb
The Metro Cinema reverted to local control under Penistone Town Council from 2nd April this year, although still officially in the ownership of BMBC, who had appropriated Penistone's assets in 1974 under the Local Government Re-organisation. It would appear that the Town Hall is actually leased to Penistone by BMBC. New seats were again fitted throughout the theatre at around this time. As before, every second seat had a small ashtray attached. Indoor smoking was still legal and quite normal during film performances, right up to the turn of the century. This often led to a fug in the hall which showed up in the projection beam. 'Secondary smoking' had not yet been invented. A law in July 2007 made it illegal to smoke in all public enclosed areas and workplaces.

1999:
The Organ Arrives
- and a New Name
The ' Mighty Paramount Theatre Organ' was installed. It had been built for the 3,000-seat Birmingham Odeon cinema in 1937, was restored in the 1950s and removed in 1988 to 'The Regal' in Oswestry. The Regal closed in 1994 and Blackpool Tower organist Kevin Grunhill bought it from them. After careful restoration, it was installed in Penistone with due ceremony. The theatre was renamed the 'Penistone Paramount'. In November, the first live football match was shown in the Paramount. This was England versus Scotland in a qualifying play-off for the 2000 European Championship. Other matches would be shown from time to time until someone threw beer at the screen, causing damage. Then they ended.

Intermission Troubles Again
Once again, the Intermission came under attack by the Society of Film Distributors (SFD) (see 1979 above), who again threatened to stop supplying films if it continued. The Paramount now considered taking it to the European Court to settle the matter. Penistone MP Michael Clapham said the situation had become 'daft'. The SFD backed down for a second time and the intermissions continued as before. The SFD was later 're-imaged' (renamed) as the Film Distributors Association (FDA), in 2002.

console console

2001:
Technical Upgrades and the First Organ Concert

The Westrex projector was fitted with Dolby stereo sound along with the necessary sound equipment, and a new wide screen was fitted. Total seating was reduced to 346, of which 128 were in the Circle (balcony). The first organ recital at the Paramount was held in November:. See the Cinema Organ Trust site and the Organ page on this website.

2002
Take a look at a BBC 'Where I Live' archived page, outlining a visit to the Town Hall. Its historic details are not very accurate; for example. it says that the theatre had originally been built as a library. Of course, the library was next door and co-existed with the Town Hall for five decades. Ignoring a few erroneous details, it is still an interesting article.

2003:
'Heartlands' Premiere

Actors Michael Sheen and Mark Addy came to the Paramount for the world premiere of the low-budget film 'Heartlands'. The local folk singer Kate Rusby had pressed for the premiere to be held at Penistone, after being involved in the film's music.

BMBC to Sell the Paramount?
Also this year, Penistone Town Council and the local community were forced to oppose Barnsley MB Council's plans to sell off the venue, with demolition as a distinct possibility. BMBC's ambitions might have been thwarted by the lucky accident of the Masonic Hall (over which they had no powers) being attached to the Town Hall building. In the end it was probably considered to be an unwise move.

2004:
A Mighty Fall-Out

An unseemly dispute arose between the Organ Trust and Penistone Town Council, which turned into a news story to travel around the world. Arising from a trivial matter concerning coaches (legally) parked outside the Paramount Theatre, the fall-out reached ridiculous heights and the Organ Trust was actually locked out of the building to perform routine maintenance tasks. The dispute led to adverse and quite embarrassing publicity for our town in the national media, such as the Daily Telegraph, The Times and The Star, all of the national dailies and it even reached out abroad to Australia. 'Locks were then changed on the doors and the council and Cinema Manager said that because of harassment and intimidation of staff and volunteers, recitals had been suspended.'

Penistone's MP at the time, Mick Clapham, then asked The Rt Rev Stephen Platen, Bishop of Wakefield, to intervene as an independent arbiter but he was politely refused (See Huddersfield Examiner). Unnecessary secrecy made matters worse at a time when most local people knew what was happening anyway. Unfortunately, the council had given an impression to the world of being intransigent and petty. After the dust had settled, the council licked its self-inflicted wounds and reached a private agreement with the organist about his loss of earnings. He was duly compensated out of council funds.

2005:
90th Anniversary of Films in the Town Hall

This was the 90th Anniversary of showing films in the Town Hall. Manager at the time, Steve Tales, put on a very fine and informative exhibition on the stage, with display boards, running films, and projection and other equipment. The pictures below give a small taste of the event, showing here a projector and a spooling platter. There was plenty to see at the exhibition and it was well supported by the public.

ProjectorReel WinderProjector

The projector on display was a Lanterne Cinémeccanica CX21H, which you can view in more detail on the French-language Projectionniste site. It is possible to download the Service Manual (pdf) but it is in a foreign language. The projector uses a 1.6 kW xenon bulb with air-blast cooling. For an interesting demonstration of film winding using a platter, take a look at a 15-minute Youtube video, which is not from Penistone.

2008:
YFA Event

Brian Barnsley took over as manager this year. There was a special Yorkshire Film Archive event in November 2008. An organist played before the YFA films were shown and a YFA commentator explained details about the old film clips. The first clip was of a train, from the 1880s. The presenter referred to his pleasure in being 'in Barnsley' on three occasions and was met with a certain coldness from the local audience as he said that. We might forgive him for his poor grasp of geography, as he had travelled all the way from York.

2012:
Going Digital

£86,000 spent on digitising the theatre in a major upgrade. This was the start of a new wave of modernisation, involving a new Dolby sound system with BOSE speakers and a satellite dish installed in 2013 to stream live events from such as The National Theatre in London, to reach its conclusion in 2014. The old column speakers at each side were replaced with more modern types. Soon after, films would only need one digital projector and distributed digitally on something like a Hard Disc Drive cassette, with a dongle-like device to control the number and times of showings. The old film projectors had become redundant. The projection booth did not have room for a pair of the old projection equipment alongside the new digital 2k Christie projector. Film projectors needed to be in pairs for reel-changing but one digital projector does it all.

2014:
Centenary of Penistone Town Hall
(The Paramount Theatre):
Fully digital showings of films and live events via satellite from distant theatres are now possible. Also film distribution by satellite, although they would still be more usually distributed by encrypted hard disc drive. New seats and foyer carpets planned. October facelift of the frontage ready for the Centenary Celebrations (see picture further down this page). For the Town Hall centenary event details, see below.

2015:
Centenary of Films in the Town hall:

This was to mark the historic milestone of films being first shown in the building on Friday 20th November 1915. The Centenary Event had originally been proposed as a larger event but it was later scaled down. A week of special films from different decades occurred in the bitterly cold November. For the centenary event for films being shown, see below.

2016:
Lease Extension Applied For.

This is from Minutes (pdf) of the PTC Leisure and Amenities Committee (Held 8th Feb. 2016, IT Room, Community Centre):

The BMBC Estate Manager confirmed in correspondence with PTC that Barnsley Council had no objection to extending the lease of the Paramount. In order to extend the lease, the current lease would need to be terminated and a new lease granted, to expire in April 2029. It was said at this meeting that a new lease arrangement might open the door to the Town Council obtaining funding for a new cinema screen from a cinematographic body; the existing one having a degree of wear and tear. Furthermore, any lease extension would be conditional on BMBC meeting certain requirements and, upon satisfaction, would subsequently require the approval of a full Penistone Town Council meeting. (The grant of lease being extended was achieved in 2017).

2016 50th Library Anniversary In Penistone Library
2016 was a 50th anniversary of the 'new' Library which had continued the facility after the Carnegie Library had been closed in 1966. The week was marked with a series of events, including a Launch Event with fine speeches, a buffet and book-signing. It was attended by library officials, local councillors and the MP Angela Smith. One event was a talk by the nonagenarian historian, Cecil Hallas, who had been a popular Gents' hairdresser in Penistone before his retirement. A rather good (and somewhat familiar) historic timeline went up on a library wall and there were interesting historic displays on show. This event was well-publicised and well-attended by the public.

2016 BBC Report - British Libraries in Crisis
Penistone has done well to keep its Library, given that one in four libraries in the UK have closed in the previous six years, with the loss of around 8,000 library staff. Where libraries have been under threat, nationally around 15,000 volunteers have kept them going. In fact our Library is thriving and one of the busiest in the Barnsley Borough. Now in its 50th year in its current location, Penistone Library has expanded to include the Internet, job-search assistance, computer courses, genealogy courses, a readers' group and more. This keeps it right at the centre of the local community. Long may that last. Read the BBC's Libraries Report.

2017 Refurbishment
This was more than the usual lick of paint. It included a brand new screen and new mechanism to hoist and contain the screen, as it is rolled up during theatrical productions. When the retro-reflective screen is not needed, for such as a play, it is wound up into a box above the stage. The earlier box was open at the top for a line of dust to accumulate on the screen. The new arrangement protects it better. According to a Penistone Town Council Precept meeting (Feb 2014, pdf) the new screen cost £10,000, presumably including fitting and ancillaries.

2017 Silent Film Show
In a busy theatre, Buster Keaton's 'The General' silent film was shown and accompanied by Jonathan Eyre on the mighty Compton cinema organ (October). This followed on from the first hour of happy music performed by Elizabeth harrison on the organ. Penistone is one of the few remaining places in this country where such an event is possible.

Another event in October was 'What's Your Penistone', which had Architecture Masters students from Sheffield University encouraging the public to offer their thoughts on the three main Penistone focal points: the Railway Station; the Town Hall Building and the Market Barn. All very well-intentioned but they did not appear to have been properly briefed. They were not sure what the Town Hall actually was (the Paramount) nor that the Council Chamber was still in active use or even that Penistone has its own Town Council. They at least brought some youthful enthusiasm to the Market Barn, and a bicycle machine.


2015 Centenary of Films in the Town Hall
To mark this local historic moment, films were shown during the centenary week which had been popular during their time, including a silent 1920s film. This was originally going to be a much bigger event, with an exhibition like 2005, but it was scaled back (possibly because of adverse weather).

PTC Noticeboard in December 2015Publicity for the week had been rather inadequate and fellow customers were heard to remark to that effect. It appeared to have relied on a Barnsley Chronicle article a fortnight before. A poster went up outside the Paramount for passing pedestrians but the event was omitted from the Paramount's 'What's On' leaflet and there were few posters around town. I remarked that: 'Even a church jumble sale would have had more publicity'. Few people attended, although the bitterly cold weather would have been a factor. Even so, the Penistone community saw it as an historic event.

These films were shown in the Centenary week of Sunday 15th to Sunday 22nd of November 2015:


The 2014 Town Hall Centenary
The grand event took place Friday 7pm, Friday 31st October 2014 by 'invitation only' and was intended to replicate the opening ceremony of 1914 as closely as practicable. BBC TV Look North sent out a team to interview the Manager Brian Barnsley in the morning and that went very well. They also returned to report live in the early evening.

News Blackout
This website was the only source to inform the community about this event before the day. Both the 'Community Radio' and the Paramount's own 'What's On' booklet performed a news blackout before the event. The visit by the Look North team had been arranged by a local resident unconnected with the event. A Google search revealed nothing about it before it happened. Ed Elliot (Penistone reporter for Barnsley Chronicle) followed it up with an excellent and informative article, covering the centenary event itself and Town Hall/Library history in some detail. Some of Ed's work found its way to this page.

A Landmark Event
It had been a well-organised, joyous and friendly occasion with around 160 people attending and went very well. Glasses of champagne (or similar) were offered to guests upon arriving as Kevin Grunhill played the Mighty Paramount Organ for perhaps twenty minutes, in an increasingly animated and absorbed fashion. An old lady had laughingly described him as 'A Man Possessed', as in a Hammer Horror film, but I prefer 'Absorbed'.

100 years celebration - not clickableTown Hall 2014

The invited audience included three Mayors, dignitaries, people with a connection to the Town Hall such as thespians, history group members, Town Hall staff, council officials and a few councillors. Two previous Cinema Managers were also present. Penistone and Stocksbridge MP Angela Smith also attended and was herself attended by a small group of admirers, perhaps in the hope of glory rubbing off, but she did not make a speech.

The Speeches
The first speech was by Penistone's Mayor of the time, Cllr Steve Marsh, who had the audience in the palm of his hand with a very well-crafted speech. He covered the Town Hall's milestones, going in some detail to the opening ceremony of 1914 and remarks made at that time. He referred to a description from 1914 of the hall as 'Penistone's Coliseum' and that it would be an "Open sesame for all that was good for this town." He also described features of the hall, council offices next door, landmark film moments and how it had been supported by the public, through good times and bad. He concluded by saying how it was a much loved part of our town and quite unique, with its half time intermissions for a drink. The Mayor Cllr Marsh concluded by calling upon the rapt audience to raise their glasses to the Town Hall for the next 100 years. The audience willingly obliged and applauded appropriately.

The 1914 opening event (see below) had the Mayor of Huddersfield, Alderman Blamires, JP, as one of the guests of honour. The 2014 equivalent was Mayor of Kirklees, Cllr Ken Smith, who made a brief but effective speech echoing the sentiments of the Penistone Mayor. He responded to Cllr Marsh's speech with: "That sounded like a plea for home rule for Penistone!" He described how a century earlier the country was walking innocently into an awful tragedy for the four years of the Great War, and that the same happened twenty years later in the Second World War but that the Town Hall managed to carry on functioning. He concluded with his thanks and said that he was "Grateful to have the opportunity to bring again the good wishes from the people of Kirklees to the town and particularly this enterprise in your wonderful venue." He too was well-received.

Barnsley's Mayor, Cllr Tim Shepherd, followed on with the observation that, "When coming on third, it's best to leave the speech in the pocket." He had lived in our area and referred to his political career starting on Penistone Town Council. He had regularly enjoyed being a visitor to Penistone Town Hall and had proudly attended the 1996 world premiere of 'Brassed Off' in Penistone. He continued by wishing all the best for the next 100yrs and: "... hoped to be around for a good few of them". With that, he thanked everyone and received good applause.

The Manager Brian Barnsley also spoke about the Town Hall's history and films which had been shown. He referred to the two former Managers in the audience and their years during difficult times. He mentioned an old lady in the audience who had been coming to the theatre for eighty years and was still going strong. After a brief round-up of coming theatrical events, he brought the audience to attention by calling upon the band to play the National Anthem, in accordance with old cinema tradition, and was applauded for his effort. Thurlstone Brass Band was in fine form and went on to perform some inventive medleys themed upon events in each decade of the centenary, including elements of the French and Russian National Anthems.

A munificent buffet, appropriate to the style of 1914, was opened and a splendid time was had by all, with a very worthy "Well done" to all concerned.
See the Cinema Tour section for Paramount views behind the scenes.


The Old Carnegie Free Library
LintelThese are the original Library Opening Times, from the 1915 Penistone Almanack:

In 1966, the Lending Library was moved to a new purpose-built building on the High Street but the 'Reading Room' (newspapers and journals) was relegated to a small building behind the Town Hall for a time. The space liberated by the move was taken up by council offices for council services, public information and a social housing contact point.

The old 'Carnegie Free Library' rooms went through many changes after being taken over as a council facility and a new 'accessibility' automatic door was fitted at the top wall. Just beyond the door is a small red-brick building which for a time was occupied by Penistone & District Community Partnership, and East Peak Innovation Partnership, which is more or less the same thing. This had been the caretaker's home at one time.


Council Chamber
The pictures below show how the current council chamber is furnished with an elegant wooden table and framed pictures of council members. The public can visit this room for Penistone Town Council meetings 7pm on the third Monday of each month, excepting August. Many years ago, the council met in the board room of the Union Workhouse, Netherfield, which was later used by the Grammar School sixth form before being unceremoniously demolished for the new school.

Council Chamber
Lintel carving
Council Chamber
Cinema Picture

It is a little-known fact that there is a tunnel storage area under the Town Hall buildings with record books and documents going back centuries. When local historians asked to see some old known documents, the Barnsley archiving system could not find them. It is likely that the Town Hall deeds were among them.

The Town Hall has been a great asset to our town and continues to enjoy great popularity in the area. Now with surround sound, digital projector, bar and conference facilities. Major film releases are shown soon after their national release and occasionally on the actual day. Unfortunately, its future is not certain as its lease runs out in a few years and it is common knowledge that Barnsley Council would like to sell it off. Moves are afoot to decide its future.


Notes:


Back Top Home Samuel Palmer (1805-80): 'Wise men make proverbs, but fools repeat them.'