Old Inns and Public Houses

Old Inns
You can be sure that beer and wine have a very long history in this country. Given the often poor drinking water supplies in the old days, it was often necessary to add beer to water to make it safer to drink, as 'Small Beer'. Wine goes back to Roman times and possibly before. The Magna Carta of 1215 standardised the wine measures. In the 15th Century, there were three main types of drink outlets, Alehouses, Taverns and Inns:

This is cold tea.Another way of looking at it is: Beerhouses supplied ordinary people with beer, Alehouses could sell more than just beer, Taverns also sold wine, perhaps for the more affluent customers, and Inns provided accommodation as well as food and drink. These days the names are chosen for effect rather than function. Victualler = A supplier of victuals. Victuals = food or provisions, including drinks. Pronounced 'vittler' and 'vittles' respectively.

By 1552, the Alehouse Act required Alehouse keepers to be licenced for the sale of wines and spirits, by the local Justices. By 1729, the Justices would hold annual Brewster Sessions to licence retailers. The Beerhouse Act of 1830 allowed a householder to retail beer from their house, upon an annual payment of two Guineas (£2 2/- which in modern UK money is £2.10). Many of these Public Houses were run by women. The annual payment had become a licence by 1860.

You might be surprised to learn which familiar shops were beerhouses in the olden days. The Penistone area always had plenty of watering holes and at least two breweries at one time (see bottom of page) but many new ones arrived after the railway opened in 1846, with a rapid increase in the local population. As there was not much else in the way of accessible entertainment, local beer houses thrived in those days.

A wide range of activities were based on the public houses. There are old records of auctions and public meetings before the days of the Town Hall and Community Centre. On occasions, public houses were used to contain arrested criminals, to act as temporary operating theatres after serious accidents or even to hold the consequent inquests. Without the public houses, many of the clubs, societies and bands that we take for granted might never have been formed. Links at the bottom of this page explain the background of public house names and traditions in England.

Hostelries Lost by 1822
Many beerhouses in the list below had existed in our area but had disappeared by 1822. There was also an un-named beerhouse which is now Rose Cottage, Thurlstone, kept by someone from Wombwell. There was also a public house at Bankhouse, on the 'Old Pack Horse Road' from Woodhead to Rotherham. According to an old almanack 'the road continues past Doubting and Mossley farms to Cranberry Inn'.

Baines Directory 1822
The directory lists Victuallers for houses in and around Penistone that were open at the time:
Mary Jackson at the White Hart, Penistone, Joseph Beford at the Old Crown, Penistone, George Brown at Horns Coffee House and Tavern, Penistone, Marmaduke Clark at the Spread Eagle, Penistone, Ann Green at the Black Swan, Penistone, Edmund Smith at the Rose and Crown, Penistone, William Bagshaw (of Thurlstone) at the Plough and Harrow, Penistone, William Mosely (listed also as a clock-maker) at the Fleece, Penistone.

Also William Earnshaw at the Black Bull, Thurlstone, Benjamin Harrap at the Dog and Partridge, Bord Hill, J Sanderson at the Waggon and Horses (most likely Langsett), J Whitaker at the Blacksmith's Arms, Millhouse Green, John Mellor was victualler at the Rose and Crown, Ingbirchworth and Thomas Taylor at Saltersbrook. This list appeared in a Penistone Almanack of around 1877. Also on Penistone High Street was The Sportsman (now a dental surgery).

White's Directory 1837
Looking at 'Inns and Taverns' under 'Professions and Trades', these names are listed:
Hannah Mosley at the Fleece, Abel Marsh at the Horns Tavern, Joseph Bedford at the Old Crown, Jonathan Brown at the Rose & Crown Inn, John Barrow at the Spread Eagle, Wm. Hepplestone at the White Hart and Ann Green was still at the Black Swan, Bridge End.

Langsett Parish Council
Some of the old inns and pubs in the Langsett area are noted in brief at the Langsett Parish Council website, with some later photographs. Many thanks to Mr Peter Lawford of Canada for pointing me to their site.

Balti House The Commercial Rose & Crown Wiseman's Co-operative Store
Horns Inn - now
the 'Balti House'
Commercial Inn - now
'Caroline's Hair Studio'
The former Rose and Crown
became Dransfield offices
The Prince of Wales
became Wiseman's
The Fleece Inn - now
'Images' and 'Cherrydale'

Penistone Streets
Please note that streets were not named nor houses numbered in our area until November 1881, presumably for postal reasons. Sometimes Market Street was described as 'Penistone Street' in old books and early almanacks. It did not help that Market Street and High Street are the same street which blends together. The end nearest to Clark's Chemist is Market Street and High Street begins from the lane to the former Post Office (opposite the ginnel), with the odd numbers on that side. Changes to the buildings and roads took place over time which must have blurred the natural boundaries. For example, the Rose and Crown was rebuilt on an adjacent site in 1869 on the end of what we now call Shrewsbury Road, and that did not become a proper road until around 1913. It looks as though some of the house numbers also changed over time.

Old Name Now Location Notes
An Alehouse
Closed
1844
? By Stottercliff,
Thurlstone
An alehouse of unknown name was kept by James Bradbury. It was located on the site of Rose Cottage, which is on the end of Stottercliff Road, Thurlstone, near the bad bend.
Angel Inn Grange Farm Ingbirchworth This one appears in Mrs Margaret Marsh's archive, which says it was 'Known as Angel Inn in 1624, with a sundial over the door, name Mr Micklethwaite.'
The Angel ? Woodhead No details except that it was demolished.
Barrel Inn Mustard Pot Midhope This was built in 1760 as a farm and became the Barrel Inn in 1780. Mr Joseph Simmons renamed it the 'Club Inn' and it continued with that name for more than a century. It had been much frequented by local farmers until its fortunes began to wane. It gained a new lease of life in recent times and re-invented as a gastropub, leaning towards a more affluent clientele and renamed The Mustard Pot. It retains many old traditional features, such as stone-flagged floors, oak beams and open, log-burning fireplaces. Past innkeepers are listed in the Mustard Pot's (Facebook) informative History Page:
  • 1760 - 1780, Used as a farm. Another nearby building had been the alehouse.
  • 1780 - 1814, Ann Kay - Now an inn named the 'Barrel Inn'
  • 1814 - 1824, Joseph Kay
  • 1824 - 1840, William Kay.
    On hunting days, it was nicknamed 'The Club'
  • 1840 - 1854, Joseph Kay
  • 1854 - 1855, John Kay.
    For a time called it 'The Ship'
  • 1855 - 1860, Mrs Ann Kay.
    Reinstated 'The Barrel Inn'
  • 1860 - 1883, Joseph Siddons.
    Renamed it the 'Club Inn'
  • 1883 - 1888, Mrs Ann Kay Siddons
  • 1889 - 1898, Herbert Woodhouse
  • 1899 - 1905, Isaac Waterhouse
  • 1906 - 1912, Schofield Sykes
  • 1912 - 1926, Mrs Jane Wood
  • 1926 - 1931, Miss Nellie Wood
  • 1931 - 1955, Aaron Elliot
  • 1955 - 1970, John Genn
  • 1970 - 1992, Robert Genn
  • 1992 - 1999, Barbara Elizabeth Lee
  • 2001 - 2007, Andrew David Hodgkiss.
    Major refurbishment, re-opened as 'Ye Olde Mustard Pot'
  • 2007 - 2008, Carina Porte & Alex McLean-Smith
  • 2008 - 2011, Christopher Jessop
  • 2011 - 2017, Kelly Groves
  • April 2017 to present, David Browell.
Barrell Inn ? 25 High St. Described as The Barrell Inn, Rosemary Topping, Top o'th Hill, 25 High Street. Kept by Isaac Leigh. This might have been on the site of the car spares shop. You can make out where an archway passed though to the rear.
Bay Horse Algy Arms Hade Edge This was the Bay Horse until a whole swathe of posh executive houses were build close by. Its customers had been mostly drawn from Dickenson's yogurt factory down the road. The Bay Horse also had a football team. It has been said that a nearby band room was built by the factory owner for Hade Edge Band. According to 'What Pub', The Algy had been 'named after a dear friend who, in turn, was nicknamed after a character from the Biggles novels'.
Birch Tree Inn Closed 1822 Behind the
Spread Eagle
This was open around 1810 and kept by Benjamin and John Rayner. It was located behind the Spread Eagle in Marsden Square (which acquired a new name after Penistone 1 opened). It is possible that The Birch Tree was the forerunner to 'The Loft' cafe building.
Black Bull Demolished Thurlstone Fell into decline in the 1990s and closed. The site is now occupied by a row of houses.
Black Rag ? Thurlstone-ish Beerhouse located on the South side of the road between Thurlstone and Millhouse. No further details but its name suggests a connection with Durrans Blacking factory nearby. Its location is like the Brass Rapper, below, which raises the question of it being the same place with a different name.
Black Swan

Next door
to and
replaced by
The Bridge,
which is
still open.

By Penistone Bridge Listed in an 1822 Penistone directory, with Ann Green (Nanny Green) as victualler. In 1865, Mr Amos Green removed from the old Black Swan to a 'New Black Swan which he had built next door. That was described as 'In every way superior to the old one'. The old one would have been on the small car park by the current Bridge Inn. The following year, an inquest was held on Edward Laycock, following an accident at the old Penistone Railway Station (near where St Mary's Roundabout is now), at Ann Green's 'Bridge Inn'. What Amos Green had originally called the New Black Swan when applying for a licence was then named The Bridge Inn or Hotel, after its proximity to Penistone Bridge. More recently, 'the bridge' (without capital letters) received a completely new interior in the 2000s. See the White Hart history page which has some aerial views of the Bridge Inn. See also the Bridge Inn tour page.
Blacksmith's Arms Current Millhouse Green From their website: 'The Blacksmiths Arms, one of the oldest buildings in Millhouse Green, was built almost 200 years ago and originally incorporated a blacksmith's forge, serving the local farmers using the road between Penistone and Manchester, now known as the A628 Woodhead Road.'
J Whitaker was listed on an 1822 Thurlstone directory as victualler. In 1888 the landlord of two years, Harry Hey, shot dead his domestic servant Margaret Hill, while suffering from delirium tremens (DTs, an effect of withdrawing from alcohol). He was found guilty at Leeds Assizes of 'wilful murder while in a state of unsound mind'. After treatment and upon recovery, he moved to Stocksbridge. The 'Arms' part of a pub's title is often heraldic but, as in this case, it can apply to a profession, as in a guild. Blacksmith's Arms.
Blue Ball Inn Closed Thurlstone Left side of the climbing road from the River Don bridge into Thurlstone. According to a Facebook entry from Marlene Marshall, for Penistone Archive Group, this started as the Waggon and Horses circa 1937 and later became the Blue Ball. The same entry gives the British Legion from 1947 to 1960. It has been listed in the 1881 Penistone Almanac as Mr William Lake's. It was used during WWII as the Home Guard HQ, later to become the British Legion. It closed around 1960 and was left derelict. It was renovated and converted into flats (possibly in the 1970s) and the name 'Skyliner' in stick-on lettering was visible on glass above the door. 'Skyliner' had been the Citizen's Band 'handle' of its New Zealand owner who lived there from the 1970s until he died in violent circumstances in the 1980s. Sorting out ownership of the building after his death must have presented many problems. After again being derelict for many years, the building appears to have been extensively renovated in recent times. A sign was up 'To Let' in the summer of 2017.
Border Hill
House
Still open
as the
Dog and Partridge
Bord Hill This was an important stopping place on the old salter's pack-horse trade route over the moors, connecting Lancashire and Cheshire with Yorkshire towns and cities. A Turnpike Road was constructed between 1732 to 1741, connecting Rotherham with Manchester and replacing parts of the old saltway. Horses were changed here when horse-drawn coaches were the main forms of transport. The Dog and Partridge was shown on an 1850 Ordnance Survey map as the 'Border Hill House'. It continues to thrive to this day, on the busy A628 road, towards the Woodhead pass.

From the D&P website:
'Situated on the old medieval salt way route, this isolated Inn has a history that can be traced back to the Elizabethan period. Originally a farmhouse and alehouse, supplying shelter and refreshment for travelers crossing the hostile moors of the Pennines. Originally known as Border Hill House owned by the Gothard family, the Inn became known as the Dog and Partridge on receipt of its first licence in 1740. Since that time it has been under the ownership of many local land-owning families such as the Pilkingtons of Chevet Hall who still own the surrounding grouse moors today.'


'Haunted Stories': 'The Dog and Partridge is reputedly visited by ghosts from the past. The most frequent ghost is said to be one William Turner who was the Landlord of this establishment from 1917-1923. People often remark that they have witnessed an old man sitting in the easy chair next to the fire. The pub was used as a temporary mortuary in the past, bodies were brought in from the moors and nearby areas awaiting removal by the authorities.'

An un-dated photograph shows the sign above the door as reading: 'Dog & Partridge Inn, Joseph G Turner, Licenced Retailer of Wines, Spirits, Beer and Tobacco.' A victualler listed in 1822 was Benjamin Harrap. See Stocksbridge History site (outlying areas).
Brass Rapper
? Nr Thurlstone A beerhouse located on the South side of the road between Thurlstone and Millhouse. No further details but its location is like the Black Rag, above, which raises the question of it being the same place with a different name.
Britannia Children's
nursery
in 2017
Spring Vale This one, along with the Queen's were both built to accommodate the arrival of the steelworks and the new Spring Vale houses built for the workers. It continued in a traditional style into 2017 until signs for a children's nursery went up. An application to turn an upstairs room into a children's nursery had been rejected by the Barnsley planning authority but this must have been resolved.
Church Alehouse
Gone HSBC The old church ale-house had three bays, slated roof, a swine-cote and garden. It might have dated back to being rebuilt in the early 16th century. Its medieval inn floor, paved with cobbles, was discovered when the school terrace was built in 1856. Matthew Roebuck was landlord in the reign of King Charles I (1625-1649).
The Commercial The Huntsman Thurlstone Formerly with a traditionally-panelled bar (rather like The Albert in Huddersfield). From around 1928, a landlord was Mr Lavender for 39 years. Mr Frank Harley kept the house from 1967 to 1975. See the pictures at the bottom of this page.
Commercial Inn Hairdresser's shop,
formerly Swallow's barber shop.
St Mary's St., Penistone This was in the tall, narrow building, almost opposite to the current British Legion Club. In the 1860s - 1870s and probably much earlier, the Commercial was a regular meeting place for pigeon shooters. Its landlords were William Lake, Thomas William Milnes and George Milnes. It is not clear when it closed as a pub.

It was perhaps too conveniently near to the old Penistone lock-up which had been built in 1770 (unceremoniously demolished one Sunday in 2010). For many years the building had been in the Swallow family as a gentlemen's hairdresser and passed down, father to son, to the late Donald Swallow. It was reputed to have only one style, 'Short back and sides'. It had a bench seat in the style of a church pew, razor strops and a cabinet which held the mysterious 'something for the weekend', which older customers always thought amusing. There was always a red tub of Brylcreem in the window bottom, even after it closed. Throughout the 2000s, it stood empty and boarded up until 2011 when a new hairdresser moved in.
Cranberry Inn Farmhouse Cranberry
Cranberry Farm by Cranberry cross-roads. This is on a cross-roads with Mortimer's Road from Grindleford to Penistone Bridge (Bridge End), just above Cubley Hall. Mrs Margaret Marsh's archive says it was used by drovers from Scotland. It was on the old pack horse route from Woodhead to Rotherham via Hartcliff.
Crystal Palace Current Thurlstone This line needs a few historical words, if anyone has any. A cosy pub in an old style. Still thriving.
Cubley Hall Current Cubley Cubley Hall opened as a free-house public house and gastropub after work lasting at least a year. It had started as a moorland farm on the pack-horse route in the 1700s, then it was converted into a Gentleman's residence with four acres of land during the reign of Queen Victoria. It was a children's home (orphanage) from the 1930s until 1980. John Wigfield and David purchased the building with their redundancy money and transformed the mansion into a comfortable hostelry with an outdoor play area. Miss Florence Lockley is the resident ghost, affectionately known as 'Flo' who was married there in 1904. It has been a great success and a very popular venue for weddings, offering everything from accommodation to the service and reception. It has a lovely wrought iron bandstand (sorry 'pavilion'). An adjacent barn was converted into a function room and carvery in the early 1990s. See Cubley Hall site and my C Hall page.
Dog and
Partridge
Current Bord(er) Hill It was shown on an 1850 Ordnance Survey map as the 'Border Hill House' (see above). See also Langsett Parish Council.
Dusty Miller ? Near Lee Lane This was a small public house, located just past the junction of Manchester Road and Lee Lane, heading towards Bullhouse. From 'Times Remembered' (see below).
Fleece Inn
Closed
1873
'Images'
hairdresser

and

'Cherrydale'
Chinese
Take-away
Penistone Joshua Moseley was innkeeper in 1775 and a clock-maker. he was followed by William Moseley, who was listed in an 1822 Penistone Directory as victualler and clock-maker. A later Innkeeper, Adam Aspinall, was adjudged bankrupt on 16th August 1867 and William Spooner Mitchell took over. By September 1871 The Fleece was advertised 'to let' as a going concern, described as a fully-licenced public house and one of the oldest in town. It claimed to be doing good business in both beer and spirits. At about the same time, a Brewsters' Licencing Session at Barnsley Courthouse brought a charge against WS Mitchell of the Fleece, concerning an alleged breach of his excise licence. The feeling on the bench was to reduce the number of public houses in Penistone and the licence was suspended until a new tenant could be found and proper accommodation provided at the rear of the building. As an Inn it provided accommodation but apparently not of a good standard. In a police raid two months later, a number of topers were discovered and Mr Mitchell was charged with selling cider without a licence. His defence was that it wasn't cider and that it was a private house anyway that the police had no right to enter. The bench was somewhat sceptical but dismissed the case. By now there was no prospect of the licence being reinstated. In August 1872, its furniture and public house fixtures and fittings were put up for sale by auction. JN Dransfield said that it closed in 1873. The location was 24 Market Street, which is now Images hairdresser and Cherrydale Chinese take-away.
Flouch Inn Old Inn:
Houses,

Later Inn:
Restaurant

Now closed
Flouch This was intended to be called the 'New Inn' and stood in a partly-finished state for some years until it was completed and opened in 1827. According to Langsett Parish Council, it began around 1820. George Heward built the house upon a piece of land he had purchased from Pemberton Mimes. He had a deformity called 'slouch lip' (or hare lip), which by the usual process of corruption led to the pub's name. The current Flouch Inn is not the original building, which was on the opposite side of the road junction and converted into dwellings, but which still stand. See Stocksbridge History site (outlying areas). Road improvements in recent times diverted the flow of traffic away from The Flouch, with the addition of a new roundabout about 100 yards away (A628/A616, Langsett). The Flouch had been a lively pub in the 1980s and 90s and attracted many to its disco evenings (acquiring the nickname of 'the Dancing School') but trade fell away, possibly as a result of a stricter attitude to drink-driving prevailed. It had been a hotel and both an Indian and an Italian restaurant at the same time until well into the 2010s, when it became a Balti House and Indian take-away. As of 2017, it it is closed.
Travellers Fox House Near Carlecotes According to anecdote, 'The Fox House' was a nickname for the Travellers but the name stuck.. It is now well-established as an eating place or 'gastropub'.
George and Dragon ? Crowden A moorland beerhouse near 'The Quiet Shepherd' at Crowden. From 'Times Remembered' (see below).
The George Inn Current Upper Denby Opened in 1857, this was a sanatorium prior to being a pub. The building, along with a barn and cart house (both demolished) are believed to be 18th century in origin. See Upper Denby Conservation Area (No 49).
Golden Cross Inn
Closed
around 1920
Dwelling Millhouse Green Ben Crossland was landlord in the 1870s. The original address was given as Thurlstone or 'near Millhouse'. Now a private cottage, 287 Manchester Road, Millhouse Green. Ben Crossland was refused a bagatelle licence in 1880 at Barnsley Brewsters' Licencing Court. Its last landlord was Jack Crossland until around 1920, when the Inn and three cottages were sold to Barnsley Brewery for £1,025.
Homely House Most likely
a dwelling
Robin Row,
Millhouse Green
This beerhouse appears to have been at the same address as Strettons Brewery, on Robin Row, Millhouse Green, on the main Manchester Road. See the Brewery section below this table.
Horse and
Jockey
? Oxspring This one appeared in Mrs Margaret Marsh's archive, with the remark that it was Jockey Farm at Oxspring.
Horns Inn
or
Horns Tavern
Closed 1926
now the
'Balti House'
Penistone
not clickable - Bentley's Beer
Also known as the 'Horns Coffee House and Tavern'. George Brown was listed as the victualler in the 1822 Penistone directory. It was at the current No. 8, Market Street, Penistone, which is the Balti House Indian take-away. Mrs Margaret Marsh's archive refers to it as being Marsden's, but that mean the location, rather than the keeper. A faded, painted sign above the shop reads: 'Bentley Rotherham Beers/Ales' (enhanced, above). The 'Beers' and 'Ales' are on top of each other. Bentley's Ales later changed its name to Bentley's Beers.
The Huntress
or
Nan Allen's
Probably demolished Millhouse
Green
A small public house around the close of the 19th century, 'Where Thurlstone village opened to the moor.' This would have been towards Millhouse Green, which was part of Thurlstone until it established its own identity as a hamlet.

The house was named after the local character, Nan Allen, who was something of a tomboy in early life but could hold her own with the menfolk at hunting or drinking. She became an unusual thing in later life, a huntswoman with a pack of hounds. When she grew old, she was described as gaunt with a mad look in her eyes but with marvellous strength and agility. She followed the hunt into old age, carrying a long staff and she could keep up with the hounds. The house might have changed from one name to the other, or possibly both names were used at the same time. Mr Roebuck's book called it 'The Huntress' but a Penistone almanack and 'Times Remembered' called it 'The Nan Allen' (see 'Sources' below).
'Hark to cuddy, thou hast it by this,
I Nan Allen, the huntress.'
Junction Stanhope Arms,
now a dwelling,
'Hope House'
Dunford Bridge This grand house might appeared when the new railway was being in the mid-19th century. It later became the Stanhope Arms, at an unknown date, which closed in the 1990s after a popular run and was converted into a dwelling. It would have had some tales to tell. Given its remote location, it is likely that its demise had been gradual but inevitable, by the closure of the railway and then the drink-driving laws. Its last landlord was Edric (actually named Cedric) Foster with his then wife Ann. Edric also had the chip shop on Market Street, Penistone in the 1980s. The landlord before Edric (Brian?) is said to have built up the business on the food side.
Last Shift ? Thurlstone Beerhouse located at the corner of Royd Lane and kept by John Senior, Blacksmith, around 1839 - 1840.
Lord Nelson Current H'Swaine Clearly named after the national hero from the Battle of Trafalgar, among other victories. It used to be several small rooms in the old style, as most pubs were before the 'open plan' trend. Although it still has a bar are and pool table, it is mainly a food place these days. It was extensively refurbished some time in the 1980s, when some walls were removed to open out its smaller rooms.
Miller's Arms
Closed
before 1920
Demolished Saltersbrook This was on the Saltway pack-horse route, near the Lady Cross on the Yorkshire side of Saltersbrook Bridge, and then the original turnpike road to Sheffield. Some ruins can still be seen. It was a place for cock-fighting and bare knuckle fighting, being on the border between counties and the ease of evading the police. The Miller's Arms was owned for many years by the Taylor family. Thomas Taylor was on a 1822 Thurlstone list as victualler. Before the railway arrived, horse-drawn wagons from Oxspring mills took flour, etc. to Saltersbrook, where customers would bring their own wagons for Lancashire, Cheshire and Derbyshire. There was also a warehouse at Saltersbrook. Yorkshire was noted for its bacon and Cheshire for its cheese. The waggoners would mix them together in great brown jars and bake them in the Miller's Arms' oven and consume the mixture whilst sat around a large old oak table in the house. The mixture was said to be quite agreeable. The flags below the table were well worn by their feet. Old Edward Taylor was landlord at the time. The pub was also used to pay navvies working on the Woodhead railway tunnels. A bullock was roasted at Saltersbrook when the Woodhead tunnel was bored through in 1845. According to the 1881 Penistone Almanac, Shepherd's Meetings were held here 20th July and 5th November each year, unless the date falls on a Sunday, when it is held the next day. Annual meetings also on the 21st July at the Snake Inn, Woodlands.
City of Manchester water works purchased it and let its licence lapse in 1916. It was demolished in 1920. See the History Timeline for 1800 to 1900, Langsett Parish Council and a 1993 SDHC Newsletter.
Old Birch
Tree Inn
Not known Penistone Disappeared by 1822.
Old Crown Current Penistone It has been said that clay from a field on Penistone Green was used to make bricks for the Old Crown and the building which preceded it. The Green was the later site of Joseph Hawley and Sons' wood mill, now a tightly-packed plot of tall new houses. When William Bedford was landlord in 1864, he had a sale by auction of the furniture and pub fittings 'To Innkeepers and others', presumably in an effort to keep afloat. A year later, he was a grocer's assistant and adjudged bankrupt. Mrs Wainwright was landlady in 1872. This one was in the West Riding Directory of 1837.
Old Tavern Dwelling Denby The Old Tavern, 134 Denby Lane, was formerly the New Inn (1818 to 1963), it occupies a prominent position in the centre of the village facing the road, on the corner of Denby Lane and Bank Lane. See Upper Denby Conservation Area (No 49).
New Inn Farm Near Westhorpe Closed between 1830 and 1840, this is now a farm out-building. It is not obvious where Westhorpe is but presumably on the outskirts of Oxspring.
Plough & Harrow Ruins At
Fiddler's Green
It was built around 1822 and, according to Langsett Parish Council, it closed in 1851. Pack horse wagons laden with flour would change horses at Fiddler's Green or Salter's Brook. It had opened in competition with the Miller's Arms and the name of Fiddler's Green (near the Lady Cross) was originally conceived in sarcasm, in connection with a blind fiddler from Woodhead whose services were called upon for the pub's opening. The name stuck. Kept by William Bagshaw (1822 directory) until he died in 1849. Ronald Bower took over with Matthew Hinchliffe, John Clarke and others as sub-tenants. Matthew had the nickname of Mat o' Nack's. Victualler of the Station Inn at Hazlehead, John Clarke was the last man to sell ale at Fiddler's Green. The licence was dropped in 1851 but another account gives the the pub as closing around 1860. See this SDHS pdf.
Prince of Wales
Closed in 1990s
Closed Crow Edge Latterly known as 'Pratty Flowers' and 'The Pennine Inn'. It became quite a popular food pub in recent times in a fairly traditional style. Closed some time in the 1990s. There is a story about a Turkish fellow but I can't afford the lawsuit which might follow.
Prince of Wales
Wiseman's Formerly No. 60, re-numbered as
90 High St,
Penistone
This belonged to Rawsons Brewery (from Sheffield) and/or Gilmore's (another Sheffield brewery). It was bought in 1873 by Lancelot Gibson Burdett who changed its use from public house to an off-licence and family business selling food. Around 1895, Lance's wife Catherine Burdett took over the off-licence (Lance was a carpenter). Although ownership stayed with Catherine, management of the shop passed down to her son Herbert Burdett around 1905. At some point in time, Joseph Brown and family rented the Prince of Wales as an off-licence but that business failed. In 1918 Alice Burdett, Herbert's daughter (Catherine's grand daughter) married Robert Hodgson Wiseman. Robert Burdett was born the same year as the marriage. In 1922 Robert Hodgson Wiseman (Robert and Sheila's father) took over the shop and turned it into Wiseman's Off-licence and grocers. The grocery shop was Wiseman's for many decades and still trades under that name but is no longer connected with the Wiseman family. Many thanks to Mr Robert Wiseman for supplying details.
The Queen Hotel Children's
Nursery
Spring Vale A large building on the corner of the lane leading down to Penistone Cricket Club. This old pub was named after Queen Victoria and built in 1862 by Joseph Clarke. This one, along with the Britannia were both built to accommodate the arrival of the steelworks and the new Spring Vale houses built for the workers. It was converted into a dwelling in 1974, following a football pools win by a local resident. Here's a question. Why was Spring Vale like an old penny? Answer; because it had the Queen on one side and Britannia on the other. They were both built following an increase in population following the opening of the railway in 1865 and the steelworks in 1863. In the new century The Queen became 'Little Freddies', a children's nursery.
The Quiet Shepherd Farm Crowden A moorland beerhouse, along with the George and Dragon at Crowden. Mentioned in 'Times Remembered' (1990), a booklet from the History Group.
Railway Inn Dwelling Hazlehead Now a dwelling. Might have been called the Station Inn - see the note above on the Plough and Arrow, Fiddler's Green
Railway Tavern
Closed 1864
Dwelling 1 Stottercliff Road, Penistone Kept successively by Benjamin Armitage, C Shore and Joe Wainwright. It closed in 1864.
Rock Inn Dwelling Thurlstone Large building at the bottom of Rockside. Became a private cottage in 1914. Accounts from Brook & Co., Cubley Brook Brewery to Mr John Turner's in 1891 listed 26 gallons at 10d, costing £1/1/8d. Today's equivalent would be about two pints to the penny. Scotch whisky was 18/- (90p) a gallon (supplied from James Fox & Son, Barnsley) and Cognac brandy was £1/10s (£1.50) a gallon. Cigars were 9/6d (just over 47p) a hundred. A long row of windows at the top of the building attest to it being a weaver's cottage in former times, as with many other places in Thurlstone.
Rose & Crown,
H'Swaine
Current H'Swaine Converted from a barn into a public house in 1804, around the same time that the Blacksmith's Arms closed higher up the road. This has kept many of its original features, such as exposed beams on ceilings, open fires and four small rooms, against the trend in recent decades towards 'open plan'.
Rose & Crown Inn Dwelling Sheephouse Hill,
Midhope
The Rose and Crown public house on the junction of the A616 and Mortimer Road was built by William Payne (1760-1831) when he was Lord of the Manor of Langsett. It flourished in the coaching era and serviced the needs of the Penistone to Hope coach (via Hollins Lane). It closed as a half-way house on 29th May in 1876, the building has since been converted into private dwellings. See a very good photo of it on the Stocksbridge History site ('Outlying areas').
Rose & Crown Replaced by
new houses
Ingbirchworth This was situated on the sharp-ish right-hand bend upon entering Ingbirchworth. It was a relatively new brick-built building but replaced an earlier, low and whitewashed one on the same corner. The construction of the later one was not obvious until it had been partly demolished in recent times by a 'boy racer' in a fast car, although it is hard to imagine how it occurred on the inside of the bend, with no other vehicle participating. Some people have a special skill. After a prolonged period, it was demolished completely to make way for a row of new houses.

Old (to 1869)
Rose & Crown,
Penistone

'New'
Rose & Crown,
Penistone
Rebuilt
next to old
one 1869

Old
demolished

'New':
Closed and
converted to
offices 2011

Penistone
town
centre
Sign - not clickableThe old Rose and Crown was a coaching inn and had a yard with stables for the weekly Halifax to London coach. It would have completely blocked the current junction of Market Street with Shrewsbury Road.

A new Rose and Crown was built in 1869 by Gilbert, Earl of Shrewsbury, to replace the adjacent old one at a cost of £1,600, excluding fittings and furniture. By that time, railways had arrived and coaching was becoming less popular. Rooms were lit by gas lamps in chandeliers and there had been at least one explosion from gas, which blew a window out into the street. Mrs Margaret Marsh's archive refers to a George Brown but does not give a date. The R&C sign had a rose, half red, half white, surmounted by a crown, which became the badge of the Tudors. This dates from the end of the War of the Roses (1485), when the victorious Duke of Lancaster (Red Rose) married Elizabeth of York (White Rose).

The R&C closed as a public house in 2011 and was converted into offices. According to 'Times Remembered' (1990), a publication by Penistone LHG, three Rose and Crowns had been built in total on or near the same site. See also the Rose and Crown history page.
Royal House Never
Opened,
Demolished
2015
Sheffield Rd.,
Spring Vale
Michael Horn submitted a cutting to Penistone Archive (Facebook), from a 1965 Barnsley Chronicle. It started: 'How many Penistonians know where the Royal House is?' and explained that Asa Silverwood had it built on Sheffield Road, opposite the end of Green Road. It was never granted a licence. Until recently, it was James Hinchliffe's Butcher shop (next to Spring Vale's new junior school). The shop was demolished in 2015 and replaced by new houses. From the article, a large upstairs room had been used for a time by Spring Vale Methodists. Dr Wilson used a downstairs room for his surgery. Mr Horne says that the book, 'Bygones of Penistone', is the origin of the story. On the Facebook page, Mr Robert Gleed made the following remark: 'It was Bunny Hinchliff's butchers and slaughter house. I can remember it from the early 60's till the late 90's being a butchers, you can remember Bunny making his meat deliveries in his old grey van, pottering around at 2 mph. A proper old character from Penistone.'
Salter's Brook
Inn
Gone   This was on the Saltway pack-horse route, near the Lady Cross on the Yorkshire side of Saltersbrook Bridge, and then the original turnpike road to Sheffield. Some ruins can still be seen. It later became the Miller's Arms. The Shepherd's Society formed here in 1807. See the Miller's Arms above and Langsett Parish Council.
Sportsman's Arms Dental Surgery 13 Market St. This was kept by James Mitchell, from 1853 to 1860. Shops were built nearby in 1852. Penistone's streets were not named and numbered until 1881. On a plan dated 1749, High Street had been 'Town Street' but it was generally called 'The Street' or 'Penistone Street'. The current 'Penistone Dental Care' is listed as 11 - 15 High Street, but the numbers have changed over the years and it is unlikely that The Sportsman's Arms was there.
Spread Eagle Still going Penistone Marmaduke Clark was listed in an 1822 Penistone directory as victualler. It was also in the 1837 West Riding Directory. Mrs Margaret Marsh's archive refers to WH Fieldsend in 1862, who was also a tailor. It was renovated in the 2000s and re-opened as a food pub. It closed and was renovated and re-opened again in 2016, after its future again having looked to be uncertain. The Spread Eagle sign comes from the heraldic depiction of an eagle 'displayed'. It was probably derived from the arms of Germany, indicating that German wines were available.
Swinden Walls Demolished Between
Penistone and
Woodhead
This was mentioned in Captain Adam Eyre's diaries, between 1646 and 1649. From Langsett Parish Council, this was a farm and roadside inn halfway between Penistone and Woodhead. The farmhouse has gone but a barn remains. This might have been a convenient watering-hole for Cpt. Eyre, who lived at Hazlehead.
Three Travellers ? Side of Pen churchyard Kept by Joseph Shaw, east of Cockpit Lane, Church Street. This was probably a very long time ago and it had disappeared by 1822, according to Mrs Margaret Marsh's archive. There was a report somewhere that, upon rebuilding Penistone Grammar School on an adjacent site to its original (Kirk Flatts near Penistone Church), there had been evidence of an even earlier public house on the site.
Waggon & Horses Current Oxspring Still going strong after an unknown but long period. A loft conversion created The Rafters function room in recent times.
Waggon & Horses Current Langsett According to Langsett Parish Council, William Payne built an Inn at Langsett around 1810. It apparently replaced another inn that was demolished to make way for the new turnpike road. Long known as Billie Green's (although his wife Helen was the mainstay), and long familiar with Irish navvies, ramblers, and steel company executives, another (misplaced, sorry) source has this old inn dating from 1870, which might have been a replacement for Mr Paine's. It was Billie's mother who ran it in the early days, when it was known as Ma Green's. She was the second wife of George Green and she died in 1908, aged 67. Her son Billie Green died 5th June 1958. Billie's wife, Helen, died in 1995, having served her last meal at the Waggon in 1960. Helen had been a magistrate, WRCC councillor and a governor of both Sheffield's Granville College and PGS. (Details from 1997 Barnsley Chronicle article). A J Sanderson was victualler on an 1822 Thurlstone list.
Wentworth Arms Closed
2013
Penistone This was a traditional pub with traditional atmosphere and its heraldic name was from the Earl of Wharncliffe. It was a coaching inn before the days of the railway and there is wear and tear evidence of horse-drawn coach traffic on the left-side stone in the archway, now fenced off. During the 1960s until around 1970, it was run by Richard and Rose Masheder, who kept a bulldog. The Wentworth was a hotel at that time and a few chickens around the back produced fresh eggs for the guests' breakfasts. It closed in the summer of 2013 and the building was converted into apartments by John of Cubley Hall. See my Wentworth Arms page (which needs to be brought up to date).
White Bear Clark's
Chemist
Penistone Opened in 1861 as a beerhouse. Now part of Clark's Chemist. Benjamin White was landlord. Its entrance was in the ginnel between Clark's and the current Cinnamon Spice Indian foodery. It had a fair run until it closed on Boxing Day in 1925. It then became the Penistone British Legion.
White Hart White Heart by Penistone Bridge This is the oldest public house in the area, originally built in 1377. It had a connection with the grammar school, as a 1604 charity commission enquiry records that the croft of John Leadbeater of the White Hart paid 3d per annum to the schoolmaster. Mary Jackson was listed in an 1822 Penistone directory as victualler. It continued in a spit-and-sawdust style until the 1990s. After a short and unlamented period as 'The New Tavern', the late and colourful Frank 'Sam' Thacker took it over. He renovated it and reverted it to its ancient name. Sam also converted outhouses into flats in the hope of attracting some Bed and Breakfast trade but it did not catch on. After selling up, he continued to live in one of the flats. In the modern age, it was again refurbished in a bright, modern style and renamed the White Heart.
The White Hart is a common pub name in the UK. Its heraldic symbol was of Richard II, who came to the throne in 1377 at nine years old. Often, the white hart (a male deer or stag) is portrayed with a golden chain or collar around his neck from a legend reported by Aristotle that Diomedes consecrated a white hart to Diana and placed a gold collar around its neck. For a some aerial views, see the White Hart page.
Former coaching house Wortley Arms Wortley Hamlet From their website: 'The Wortley Arms was originally built as a coach house in 1753 at a cost of 188 pounds and 66 shillings (etc.)' See Wortley Arms.

Beerhouse Act of 1830
The 'Beerhouse Act' passed in Parliament in 1830 allowed licenced 'Beer Houses' to proliferate without the need for magistrates to endorse applications. The existing 'Ale Houses' could sell other liquors as well. The Act regulated the trade which had begun to thrive as easier travel on turnpike roads and later railways led to a greater need for Inns and public houses.

Local Breweries
Strettons BreweryOf course the old vinegar brewery at Cubley bottom started originally as a beer brewery and maltings before it concentrated solely on vinegar but another local brewer has come to light. This appears to be the same location as the Homely House public house listed above. Strettons Brewery was on Robin Row, on the main Manchester Road at Millhouse Green. Googling 'Strettons Brewery Co.' comes up with a brewery of that name in Derby, around 1902 - 1903.

Its local location can be found in the picture here on the right. My thanks go to Stuart Gibbins for supplying the information and picture. The red area is where Strettons Brewery Co. is indicated on plans. The old petrol station is on the junction with Royd Moor Lane, which leads up to the viewing platform and Royd Moor wind farm. See also the PPMV Co page.

The Commercial
We all know it as The Huntsman in Thurlstone but up to perhaps the 1980s it was called The Commercial. This series of pictures were kindly loaned by Lynn Dean, nee Harley, whose Father was Frank Harley. Her parents ran The Commercial from 1967 to 1975 and a Mr Lavender had kept it for 39 years before them. You can see from the first picture that the pub had a traditional bar in those days, with panelling right up to the ceiling. That style is very rare now and the only example I know of is at The Albert in Huddersfield.

The Commercial - Mr WoodcockThe Commercial - Donnie ButcherThe Commercial - Harvest Festival
The Commercial
The CommercialThe Commercial

These pictures are from the early 1970s. From top-left, the landlord and landlady (the Harleys) behind the bar and Mr Woodcock, who had the hardware shop on Penistone High Street, now the Britannia BS. Next we have another well-known face; Donny 'Zonny' Butcher and what appears to be a vicar sitting down. The third picture is of the harvest festival. On the next row is a group of dignified gentlemen whose names will be added as best as I can discover them, two fine topers and the last picture is a group of people in fancy dress from the vinegar works in Cubley Bottom.

The Bridge Inn
The pictures below were kindly provided by Mr David Wilkinson, whose parents John and Joan Wilkinson looked after this old public house until the early 1960s. They are shown in the colour picture, which dates from November 1961, with their business card next picture. The third picture shows a Harvest Festival in September 1960 and the next two pictures on the second row are close-ups from that picture.

September 1960Business CardHarvest Festival 1961
Frank AshtonBreadWhite Hart 1962

The taller fellow standing is Frank Ashton, who was well known as a local councillor. Some of the others shown (particularly on the left) were visitors from Dronfield, connected with the Wilkinson family. The fifth picture shows the plaited design which was famous on loaves made in the bakery on Shrewsbury Road, later to become Best's Bakery. My thanks go to David for these pictures.

The last picture also appears on the White Hart history views page, as an aerial view of the Penistone Bridge area in 1962. The White Hart is the white-washed building with the red garage door. The Bridge Inn is to its right and closer to the road. At that time there was a bicycle shop on the side nearest to the zebra crossing.


Sources
The information on this page comes from many sources but two special mentions are deserved. One for the late Mr Neville Roebuck's book 'It Happened in't Pub', which has provided many of the details in the table above and another mention for the late Mrs Margaret Marsh's archive, which filled in the gaps. Mr Roebuck's A4 typewritten book (red cover) is in the Local History section of Penistone Library. It lists crimes and other activities in local hostelries, mostly from the 19th century. My thanks go to Cllr Brenda Hinchcliff for drawing my attention to this very interesting book, which directly led to the start of this page.

Many of the 2016 entries were gleaned from 'Times Remembered', a small booklet published by Penistone History Group in 1990. This was picked up by chance in the hospice charity shop. Other sources would include Penistone almanacs and local directories.

Links
Some background to English public houses and their names:

  1. History of Public House Names
  2. History of Public House Names
  3. History of Public House Names
  4. History of Public House Names
  5. History of Public House Names (wiki)
  6. History of Public Houses
  7. Please see the Public Houses page in the tour section for a more modern look.

Back Top Home Groucho Marx: 'I don't care to belong to any club that would accept people like me as a member'.